jackie vautour obituary and jackie vautour house
In an effort to put an end to what Parks Canada refers to as a "illegal occupation" of Kouchibouguac National Park on the eastern New Brunswick coast, the agency is in the process of removing the family of the late Jackie Vautour from the park in order to pack up their possessions and remove them.
On Tuesday, members of one family gathered at a roadblock in Kouchibouguac out of fear that Parks Canada would force them off the expropriated land they have been fighting to save for decades.
The agency claimed in a statement that it had offered to cooperate with the Vautour family to help transport the belongings of Vautour's widow, Yvonne, to a "desired location" outside the park, but the offer had been declined by the family. The statement was published on Tuesday evening.
→On next Obituary - george booth obituary
As a direct consequence of this, the family's personal items are currently being removed from the park.
According to the statement, "the family's belongings are currently being carefully boxed up and stored in a secure location outside of the national park." "Parks Canada will make certain that the family is provided with the necessary information to retrieve these items,"
The RCMP and Parks Canada shut down the northbound lanes of Route 117, which are the only ones that lead to the Vautour family's camping spot.
The dispatch of an excavator and the subsequent closing of the route was in response to a letter that Parks Canada had delivered the previous year to inform family members that they needed to vacate the park by the 31st of March.
→ On next Obituary - judy coughlin obituary
Jackie Vautour, who passed away in 2021, was an activist who, more than 50 years ago, campaigned unsuccessfully against the confiscation of land from 1,200 families. The land was taken without compensation as part of the process of establishing the national park.
Vautour resided on the property up until the time of his passing, and since then, his son, Joseph John Vautour Jr., has also made it his permanent home.
"It's so incredibly tragic," she remarked. "I was only seven years old in 1976 when they first bulldozed the house down, and I saw everything that day," she said. "It was a horrible day." It was exactly like going back in time and experiencing everything all over again. When my niece informed me about it for the first time, I began to shake.
On the other side of the road, on the 175-acre parcel of land, there are three other campers, an RV, a portable toilet, a teepee, and the very same camp that Jackie Vautour used to call home when she was younger.
Rocky, also known as Joseph John Vautour Jr., was a part of the crowd that gathered in front of the barricade.
Vautour claimed, "I came out and then the excavator went by," alluding to the piece of construction equipment that multiple witnesses at the location said they saw early on Tuesday afternoon.
Additionally, Parks Canada instructed the family to vacate the land by the beginning of March in 2022.
jackie vautour house
An individual stands in front of three authorities wearing fluorescent vests and two vehicles that are white in colour.
Cpl. Hans Ouellette, a spokesperson for the RCMP, stated to Radio-Canada that the organisation is aiding with the shutdown of a road. All additional inquiries should be sent to Parks Canada, he said.
According to the statement that was released by Parks Canada, all of the tourist services within the park have been discontinued until further notice.
"At this time, we will only be doing the most essential and mission-critical operations. Facilities for tourists, including day use areas, the Visitor Reception Center, and the Pijeboogwek shelter, will be closed for the time being. At this moment, visitors to Kouchibougac National Park are strongly discouraged from doing so.